Edited by Attica Lundy Cooper
ROASTED SQUASH and SPINACH ROLL UPS
WITH SUN-DRIED TOMATOES, PESTO, AND GOAT CHEESE
Easter is coming! And while we dye and hide our boiled eggs and join in on the church ceremonies, in the midst of all that celebration, there’s always time for good food. These roll-ups only take a few minutes to assemble, and you can bring them along to your family’s Easter picnic, BBQ, or brunch.
Tip: Roast the squash a night before so that it’s ready to add into the wrap right before you’re ready to serve. You can also make these roll-ups a day in advance and store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
- 1.5 cups chopped butternut squash
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large whole grain flax tortillas
- ¼ cup of pesto
- 1 cup of tightly packed spinach
- 4 oz sundried tomatoes
- 8 slices of goat cheese (or you can use 6 ounces of spreadable goat cheese)
toothpicks to hold the wraps together
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees. On a sheet pan lined with parchment, spread out the chopped squash. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast for 35-40 minutes or until the squash is browned and tender.
- Remove the squash from the oven, transfer to a small bowl, and smash into a paste with the back of a fork.
- Trim the edges off the tortillas so they’re shaped like a rectangle. Spread a tablespoon of the pesto on each tortilla. Then layer ¼ of the spinach out flat, 1 ounce of the sundried tomatoes, a couple slices of the cheese(or 1.5 ounces of spreadable cheese). Then spread on the roasted butternut squash. Roll the tortilla into a cigar shape pressing firmly as you roll. Slice the cigar into 1-inch discs. Insert toothpicks at the ends to keep them together.
Tip: If the tortillas start to crack or are difficult to roll, place them (with all the ingredients on top), into the microwave for a few seconds to help melt the cheese and make the tortillas more pliable.
Editor’s note: For more jewels like this one please visit this writer’s blog http://chocolateforbasil.com/